KUWAIT CITY, Aug 8: Head of Kuwait Boxing Association Mohammad Mansi revealed Kuwait’s intention to host two Asian competitions following the great success of the recent junior championship held in Kuwait in which 150 Asian boxers representing 21 countries participated.
He said the Public Authority for Sports, during a meeting held between President of Asian Boxing Confederation Anas Al-Otaiba and Deputy Head of Public Authority for Sports Dr Saqer Al-Mullah, approved to host the competitions. Mansi said Kuwait Boxing Association, after Eid Al-Adha, will receive a letter from the Asian Boxing Confederation about holding the Asian boxing competitions in Kuwait including an Asian junior boxing competition.
He affirmed that discussions are ongoing about holding a competition among Asian boxing teams in February 2020 concurrently with the National Day celebrations, as well as the Asian Junior Championship in April 2020.
Mansi explained that the recently-concluded Asian Boxing Championship was held along with the European boxing championship. However, International Boxing Federation (IBF) said the championship held in Kuwait was better in terms of the organization and technical level of the players.
Meanwhile, Head of Qatari Boxing Federation and Arab Boxing Confederation Yousef Al-Kazem appreciated Kuwait for hosting Arab Boxing Championship, and congratulated Kuwait on returning to the international sports field after the ban was lifted.
He said the success of Kuwait in organizing such important competitions not too long after the lifting of the ban is considered a great achievement.
Al-Kazem said the 2019 agenda of Arab Boxing Confederation includes organizing the Junior Arab Boxing Championship in Iraq in December 2019.
In addition, Head of Palestinian delegation to the Junior Asian Boxing Championship Mahmoud Al-Shaikh praised the stunning way the championship was organized, expressing his pride in participating in the championship.
Source: Arab Times
The Arab Tennis Championship for Juniors was held in Tunisia from July 23 to Aug 3, 2019 under the patronage of Chairperson of Kuwait Tennis Association and Arab Tennis Federation Sheikh Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Abdullah Al-Jaber Al-Sabah.
The tournament witnessed the participation of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Egypt, Algeria, Iraq and Tunisia. Kuwait won third place (bronze medal) for the Under-11, Under-12, Under-13 and Under-14 categories as follows: Muhammad Jassem Al-Awadi and Abdulrahman Abdullatif Al-Abdullah in the Under-11 category, Khalid Bafaqeer and Abdullah Dehrab as well as Yusuf Al-Lanqawi and Hassan Ali Jamal in the Under-12 category, Abdulwahab Abdullatif Al-Abdullah and Othman Mahmoud Al-Anssari in the Under-13 category, and Husain Abdulreda Al-Shatti and Ya’aqoub Yusuf Muhammad in the Under-14 category.
Sheikh Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Abdullah Al-Sabah also congratulated the teams that won the first and second places while expressing happiness over the achievement of Kuwaiti players.
KARACHI: A two-member security delegation of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) will reach Karachi on Tuesday to decide if it is safe for its national team to tour Pakistan in October for a round of the ICC World Test Championship.
Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ehsan Mani said that the Sri Lankan delegation will visit the grounds and hotels where the teams will stay in Karachi, Lahore, and Islamabad besides meeting the PCB, police and security officials.
According to Press Trust of India report, Mani said SLC has said it would take a final decision on sending its team to Pakistan for the two-Test series based on the report by its security delegation.
“The Sri Lankan security delegation will be in Karachi on Aug 6 and then travel to Lahore and Islamabad,” he confirmed.
Since then no Test matches have been played in Pakistan neither a full bilateral series although Zimbabwe, Kenya, ICC World Eleven, Sri Lanka and West Indies have come for short visits to Lahore and Karachi to play limited over games.
Mani said he was confident the SLC would give due consideration to PCB’s request to play the ICC Test Championship matches in Pakistan.
Mani said that PCB’s thrust was now to convince other boards to send their teams to Pakistan and said the top officials of Cricket Australia and the England and Wales Cricket Board will also be visiting the country soon.
LONDON: Veteran pacemen James Anderson and Stuart Broad hold the key to England’s bid to reclaim the Ashes this summer, according to their former team-mate Steve Harmison.
Test cricket’s oldest battle resumes at Edgbaston on Thursday, with Joe Root’s side aiming to maintain the feel-good factor in English cricket after World Cup glory.
But Harmison, who won the 2005 Ashes on home soil and played alongside Broad and Anderson during the 2009 series win over Australia, said England had the trump cards with their two experienced bowlers.
“The two pace attacks are different in dynamics, out-and-out pace against experience,” Harmison told Britain’s Press Association at an event organised by Ashes sponsors Specsavers. “Australia have bowlers who can blast you away — Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson and Josh Hazlewood.
“But if they don’t get it quite right they can go at six an over. Broad and Anderson will very rarely go at six an over.
“They’ll be down on pace compared to the opposition, but they’ll have total control of what they’re doing.”
Harmison added: “Broad and Anderson are still the first two names on the team-sheet for me, because in English conditions it’s still better to have their experience than any 90-miles-per-hour bowler.”
Anderson, England’s leading Test wicket-taker with 575 scalps, missed the 143-run victory over Ireland with a calf strain but is expected to play against Australia.
Jofra Archer was also named in the squad after a side strain and should provide the raw pace to supplement Broad and Anderson.
England’s batting is a concern after Ireland bowled them out for 85 in their first innings at Lord’s but Australia also have batting frailties and few of their players looked in good touch during an inter-squad warm-up match.
“David Warner and Steve Smith coming back [from suspension] help Australia, but there are question marks over their middle order,” said Harmison. “That’s what makes this series so interesting, and England’s middle order could make that 70-80 run difference.
“I don’t think it’s going to be a series of high quality as the two teams are not as good as their white-ball sides.
“But sometimes that lack of quality can make for a better series. England are slight favourites with the home advantage, but I see it a lot closer than people think. I take England to win by the odd game.”
THE outcome of the long-awaited and eagerly anticipated match between Pakistan and Australia was an unexpected one indeed. Though the Aussies were favourites for the game, Pakistan restricted them to just 307 after a whirlwind start but then lost their way to succumb by 41 runs.
Unfortunately, the reasons for defeat were several, but the main reason that stood out was the team’s lack of focus, so much so that on more than a few occasions our players were caught napping. Dropped catches, poor shot selection from batsmen, inconsistent bowling and absurd field placings indicated a very unprofessional approach by Pakistan, which certainly does not augur well for future games in this World Cup.
Bouncing back is never easy for any team and Pakistan has another stiff challenge coming up against India on Sunday which surely wont be a walk in the park for them.
However, it is never too late and if our team simply focus on one thing — which is learning from their mistakes in the previous games — they can for sure put up a winning performance against the arch-rivals on Sunday. In hindsight, bowling first against the Aussies was not the best option. But if they had opted for that, then the bowlers should have bowled to a method, pitching up and bowling wicket-to-wicket. Instead, they were wayward and did not bowl to the field which allowed the Aussie openers to pounce upon every opportunity they got to post a century stand on the board in no time.
Our opening bowlers, apart from Amir, could not make the full use of the conditions. The fielders joined the party with some really sloppy fielding and dropped catches to ensure Australia was on track for 400. Had those catches been taken the story would have been drastically different.
In the late half of the innings, though, the bowlers finally got their act together to restrict the Aussies remarkably well.
The target of 307 looked well within the grasp but our batsmen continued to display immaturity by falling to needless hook shots on short balls. They clearly lacked the application, focus and dedication which is required to win a match against a quality side like Australia. If we look at the dismissals, they were most unexpected and very soft in nature. Fakhar Zaman has been out of sorts lately and that was evident from the fact when he cut the ball straight down the throat of third man. It was an extremely irresponsible stroke where Fakhar easily fell into the trap set for him by the opposition.
Babar Azam, who was timing the ball impeccably, lacked the discipline to duck the shorter ball and went Fakhar’s way. Babar is such a classy batsman and it is a bit disappointing to see him fall to such soft dismissals. He knows he is the mainstay of this batting line-up and should stay longer at the wicket to score a hundred or more to ensure a formidable total for his team.
Imam, too, have fallen to needless leg-side flicks in the last couple of games which have angered the experts and former players. It is a terrible way to get out and he needs to curb this habit at the earliest to score more runs. Had he carried on in that fine partnership with Hafeez it would have been a big boost for the batsmen who followed as they had scored freely in the death overs. Alas, it was not to be.
Although there were a lot of disappointing moments in the match, the pick of them was the Hafeez dismissal who should have smashed a full toss out of the park but handed an easy catch to Mitchell Starc instead who was positioned for just that shot. From thereon, the Aussies tightened the grip to get rid of Shoaib Malik and Asif Ali in quick succession to take control. Despite brilliant cameos by Hasan Ali and Wahab Riaz, Pakistan never looked like getting back in the game.
It is imperative that Pakistan have a solid game plan against India now. They have to really switch themselves on to a different, aggressive mindset. Team slection is vital here and the struggling duo of Asif Ali and Shoaib Malik need to be rested and replaced by Shadab Khan and Imad Wasim.
Sarfraz Ahmed and his men showed earlier this month that they have the skill and the resilience to bounce back and beat the best when they stunned England. There is no reason why they can’t do it again. Best of luck Pakistan!
Published in Dawn, June 15th, 2019
LAHORE: While urging the Pakistan think-tank not to push panic button after the national team’s shocking loss to Afghanistan in the World Cup warm-up, former Test pacer Sarfraz Nawaz on Saturday told them to take the defeat as a wake-up call and play with the best combination at the mega event.
Afghanistan, featuring in a World Cup for the second time, stunned the critics in Bristol on Friday as a spirited Gulbadin Naib-led side defeated Sarfraz Ahmed and his men by three wickets in the World Cup warm-up. They successfully chased down 263 with two balls to spare.
“The Pakistan team is quite strong and there is no need to push the panic button on the eve of the World Cup. However, there is a need [for the touring team management] to come out with their best playing combination,” Sarfraz told Dawn on Saturday.
“So far the team management has failed to field the best combination. They committed some major mistakes in [picking] the playing XI in the Afghanistan match. From now onwards in all the matches, Asif Ali should be a regular batsman at the sixth spot, while only one from Shoaib Malik and Mohammad Hafeez should be inducted,” Sarfraz reckoned.
“During the [recently-concluded] ODI series against England, both Malik and Hafeez played the last two matches just to save their skin. Without them however, Pakistan achieved big totals [in the first three matches of the series] either batting first or chasing.
Sarfraz continued, “Malik did not bowl against Afghanistan and even Hafeez did not complete his full quota. All this shows both are lacking confidence, and are trying to save their places till the start of the World Cup by having less exposure,” he underlined.
Sarfraz Nawaz also wants skipper Sarfraz to take decisions intelligently.
“As captain, Sarfraz should also take wise decisions. [In the Afghanistan match] there was no need to change Mohammad Amir at one stage when he had started reverse swinging the ball but Sarfraz replaced him and brought in Shadab Khan,” Sarfraz pointed out.
The former fast bowler, while hailing the decision of including pacer Wahab Riaz in the World Cup squad, though at the eleventh hour, thought the team would miss pinch-hitter Umar Akmal at the premier event.
“Both Malik and Hafeez are not pinch-hitters unlike Umar who after having a good domestic season could have been a suitable addition in the World Cup squad as pinch-hitter,” Sarfraz, the 55-Test veteran, said.
“I think still Mickey Arthur is [still] not comfortable with Umar due to which the batsman could not get place in the team. Arthur should compromise with Umar also as he did on Wahab’s inclusion,” Sarfraz added.
Meanwhile, Sarfraz again appealed to Prime Minister Imran Khan, who was his new-ball partner during their playing days, not to abolish departmental cricket.
“At least the departmental teams should be allowed to play Twenty20, one-day cricket and also Patron’s Trophy Grade-II, a four-day event, if not Grade-I,” Sarfraz insisted.
Sarfraz feared that a significant number of cricketers would lose their jobs in case the PCB closes departmental cricket as per its proposed plan.
“The move [of abolishing departmental cricket] will not serve any national purpose. Therefore, I want to appeal to Prime Minister Imran Khan to allow the departmental teams to continue their decades-old role for the betterment of Pakistan cricket,” Sarfraz concluded.
Published in Dawn, May 26th, 2019
LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has allowed all members of the national squad, who want to stay with their wives during the World Cup, but not before the June 16 blockbuster against arch-rivals India to be held at Old Trafford, Manchester.
Earlier, this permission had only been granted to two players — Haris Sohail and Asif Ali — under specific circumstances. Asif, who is to leave for Cardiff on Saturday to rejoin the Pakistan team there after attending the funeral of his two-year-old daughter who died of cancer, was allowed to accompany wife at this tragic time. Similarly, left-handed batsman Haris was also permitted to be with wife due to a family-related problem.
Earlier, the PCB had also allowed the cricketers to stay with their wives during the recently-concluded bilateral ODI series against England.
When contacted, a PCB spokesman confirmed the news and added the permission had been granted to the players after noticing the trend followed by other teams.
Meanwhile to a query, the spokesman said PCB director international cricket Zakir Khan was also going to England while newly-appointed managing director Wasim Khan will be present at the opening ceremony of the World Cup. Wasim will stay in England till the match between Pakistan and India. PCB chairman Ehsan Mani will leave for London later.
Though Zakir has no scheduled meeting with any England and Wales Cricket Board official, he is going to England just to take it as an opportunity to meet his counterparts of other boards.
Published in Dawn, May 25th, 2019